Coming from a home that loved music, including a mother who was a fantastic Music teacher, my siblings and I learned to love and appreciate music to the fullest. Allison is so ready for more than I am doing for her. I am trying to make something more organized with my teaching her. We have discovery field trips or just discovery moments around home, and she can write all the letters of the alphabet, she's begining to read, we have story time, and free time, silly time, scripture time, and about a billion other things. I don't smother her with activities, most of the time we are just being silly. She just seems so ready for more, almost bored. I have had a harder time with music. I have some ideas, and many seem to work. We like to make instruments, and dance and play on the piano. But, I have become lazy with it. We don't have as big of a variety of music that I would like, and I am so unorganized in my thoughts lately. There are so many cool programs out there for little kids, but a lot of things cost too much. I'd like to do more at home, and I wouldn't be closed-minded to a low cost group thing either. So if anyone has any tips of books I could find on teaching music, or things I could do, or specific CD's I could buy, I'm all ears. I definately want an email from you, mom.
Thanks everyone
4 comments:
I'm excited to read what people suggest - as I think Gabe would love some music 'lessons' too.
I think one set of music that is GREAT is from Brite Music. We listened to those growing up and I LOVED them! We have the "Watch me sing - vol 1" and I also have wanted to get the "I have a song for you - vol 3" about animals. (we had it growing up). Go to their website and check out all they have (www.britemusic.com). They also have a set called, "Sing, read and write with Brite" - that might be good for Allison, where she's learning those things.
I also recently bought a cd rom from Deseret Book that has those cute puppets and activities for songs - it's called, "Super Little Singers: singing fun for primary nursery to age 5 and family home eveing" - http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=4548181
Honestly I haven't printed the songs out yet, but it has some really fun ideas and they are all done for you - you just print, cut out, and put together - very simple. (I would laminate them too) They come either black/white - and you can color them yourself, or you can print them in full color. They could definetly be used for your nursery calling too!
I'm sorry I wrote a novel...but I can't wait to hear other ideas as well!
Wow Laura! You are so dedicated to teaching Alli, I'm amazed, and I must admit, a little envious. No wonder Annaleise has invisible friends, I probably don't spend enough time with her. Our "music time" is basically putting on any kind of music, and letting her dance, or letting her play around on our little keyboard. She does have toy instruments, but she never plays with them. She knows a few nursery songs, and I'm pretty sure she makes some of them up herself. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have tons to do with her.
Love ya
Melissa
I taught piano lessons to a four year old before from "Music for Little Mozarts" books. They're really fun and have Beethoven Bear and Mozart Mouse helping teach musical concepts. Some of our lessons would include coloring and singing... you can check it out...http://www.mflm.com/classroom/home.html
good luck!
nicole
I don't have anything current for teaching music - Earlene and I learned from the same piano book that Janine learned from and used it to teach both of my kids - it's pretty beat up now.
I just wanted to applaud your desire to add music to your learning - it is the closest thing to math in the brain and an early music education helps build on the natural math genius that runs in our family.
LOVE YOU GUYS - Aunt Charlotte
Post a Comment