
Hah, I just looked at a calendar, and realized that our little baby's due date is on the first day of the Passover. So, I was sitting eating lunch with my Jewish co-worker, and told her that. She is the queen of puns, and she said, "oh, it sounds like a good day for an exodus if you ask me." I quipped back, with ,"first my wife will probably need a parting of the great waters." Then one of us should have said, "Pass-over the baby."
In all seriousness though, I've started today's post as a request for some help. We need ideas for our new baby girl's name. If she has no name at birth, that may be a sad thing. We've already combed the internet sites for baby names, read over 30,000 girls names in a book I bought for Laura for Christmas, and we've still got very little idea what the right name is.
If you suggest a winning name, we'd be thrilled, because Laura and I can't seem to agree on any names this time around.
We do have a boy's name picked out just in case... that name took about 30 seconds to decide on. :) go figure.
Maybe we should be looking at Jewish baby names? Aviva, Chava and Rivka don't quite strike me as the right name though.
Please help us and post as many names as you can think of that go well with our last name "Rhien"
34 comments:
Hannah
It is Jewish and Biblical and yet is current and sounds good with Rhien and as far as I know, we don't have any Hannah's in our family.
(watch 7 brides for 7 brothers - hehehe Hannah, Hagar, Hespsibah??) I like Hannah better. Love, Aunt Charlotte
Laura's sister is Hannah- or we would use that! We love Hannah.
how about Sarah or sara or Cheri? Love gmarilyn
I suggest:
- Katherine (meaning: pure)
- Elisabeth (meaning: God's oath)
- Katherine Rhien (too many "R"?)
- Elisabeth Rhien
- Katherine Elisabeth Rhien
They sound good (classical and biblical names).
- Helen Rhien
- Helena Rhien
It sounds good too (Greek and classical, but remember the war she caused for her beauty in Troy)
or:
- Alexandra Rhien
- Monique Rhien
Giovanni Castiglione
i'm all for Alexa or Brianna
Hhmmm... that's really funny because we had a horrible time with boy names but have a list ten miles long of great girl names! :) I like Elena and Eleanor (those were the two runners-up for Emeline's name). Just don't name her Brunhilda. That would be really sad.
Well Hannah is my favorite - but if you're not going to use it I am going to try to (SOMEDAY).
I always love names that can be shortened - like with Allison. I love a shorter version of a name that can be used like a nickname.
I'll be thinking about it....but can't promise anything.
OH - What about the name SUNDANCE? Cory would be upset - but I'd be more than happy for someone ELSE to use it so I don't have to someday.
Love you guys!
Joanna
Personally, I've always liked the name Melissa...or if that doesn't float your boat you could use Petra. Ha ha! Good luck, you've still got plenty of time.
I've been trying to come up with something, but haven't really hit on anything, other than Violet. I'm not sure where it came from, but flower names can be nice. Sorry, I'll keep thinking. :) Love you guys. Alicia
A name I just read on a friend's blog - Arlington and call her Arli....I kind of liked that.
You could still use Hannah - just call them Big Hannah and Little Hannah. :)
Is there a Russian version of Hannah that wouldn't be hard to say and learn???
Aunt Charlotte- I don't know of any Russian version of Hannah,
Joanna- Arlington is a name of a suburb here in Dallas... and so is Addison. Laura said that those names as well as the name Dallas are out for us considering our location.
Good idea though, keep them coming. We seem to be driven to the more traditional names, or the really far out names that are less conventional and not overused. A few names we are trying on this week are... Ava Marie, Aliza Grace, Eliza (Liz) or Elizabeth (Lizzy).
Hmm there are others on our list... I'm forgetting them.. Oh yeah, Laura's favorite- how could I forget Lucy.
-Jed
How about Lisabeth instead of ELIZabeth? Then you could call her Lissy or Lisa....
I vote for Sariah! Uncle Brian
Alaina or Elena might be nice too :) Alicia
O.K how about Johanna?mmmm
Josephine Josie Or Jo?
Love ya/
I love Sariah. One of few bible names for women.
Love grandma Marilyn
AHHH_ Johannah would be a good compromise - lots of family names and a biblical name and lots of nicknames all built in - good idea, Grandma.
how about APRIL MAY Grandpa W.
Oh I like Josie too!
Brooklyn (Brooke)?
Kylie?
Jacqueline?
Kaylee?
Rylee?
Grace or Gracie?
Victoria?
Isabella (Bella)?
Those are my ideas...
Nadia?
Mackenzie?
Emma?
Olivia?
Chloe?
Mae (Grandma Marilyn's middle name)?
Shaniqua Bobaliqua Rhien? That has a nice ring to it! Just kidding haha.
How about Teressa, Angela, or Evelyn and call her Eve, heh heh. Love, Grandma W
Funny, we had a list of girl names and couldn't agree on boy names. Go figure!
If Austin had of been a girl he would have been Kayla-Rae (after my g-ma & g-pa Kay & LaRae) but I've modified it to Kayla Rachel (after my sis too!)
If Jack had been a girl his name would be Hannah!
My friend wants to use Berlin for a girl, that's kinda cute. I have a thing for city names!
I also like Naomi, Natalia, Talie and Talia! :o)
Oh...I've got it! Ruby Sue! HAHA! Just Kidding. That is what I always tell people we are going to name our girls. Just to make it funny. I do have a good friend named Eleanor and she named one of her girls Elena. Any name you pick will be cute.
Have fun,
Kami
I would avoid the really popular names, simply because if there are thousands of names out there, why have your child be one of several kids in the classroom who share the same name? It drives teachers crazy! Also, I am a proponent of using a person's complete name. I mean, if your parents went through all the time and trouble to come up with a name for you, why in the world do you go by a nickname instead of your actual name? Sorry, I don't get it. Anyway, here is a list of the "top" names for girls. (Boys to follow):
Emily
Emma
Madison
Abigail
Olivia
Isabella
Hannah
Samantha
Ava
Ashley
Sophia
Elizabeth
Alexis
Grace
Sarah
Alyssa
Mia
Natalie
Chloe
Brianna
Ok, here is the list of top names for boys:
Jacob
Michael
Joshua
Matthew
Ethan
Andrew
Daniel
Anthony
Christopher
Joseph
William
Alexander
Ryan
David
Nicholas
Tyler
James
John
Jonathan
Nathan
One last post to follow. :)
Here are some names I liked when I was browsing around. (I must confess that Abigail was #1 on my short list - ha! The irony!)
Clara
Ivonne
Virginie
Maia
Lyla
Lynelle
Gemma
Erica
Evelyn
Elisa
Caroline
Celeste
Maybe, after reading that list, you'll decide that the other names are popular for a good reason! ;)
What's wrong with Rivka? Ha ha! Any luck yet?
I have it .How about Sasha russian for Alexandra call Lexie
or alexader also translates Sandra or Sasha is the wod for sandra. Love Grandma Marilyn
For some reason today I was thinking of Emmaline, or Emeline however its spelled, it could be shortened to Em or Emma. :) Good luck picking a name.
Just wondering if you're going to re-name your blog, or add another name to it when your baby is born???
talia. just to add one more to your already long list of ideas... :)
Okay, so I see you've already had your fill, but my 2 cents are:
We absolutely LOVE the name Ava.
I always really like Annette, but Ben does't share my liking.
I think Joy is beautiful, it's Evelyn's middle name.
I also really like the idea of a Jewish name, I'm sure there would be one just right for you guys.
Good luck and I can't wait. It's always such a game of question, naming a human being is a big responsibility. But once you have the name and it fits with the face, it just feels right and good and beautiful. I can't wait to see and hear more news!
~Jessica W
Post a Comment