Friday, January 29, 2010

29 Days Left. Crazy, I'm Telling You.

Part 2 of yesterday's post

I took off as fast as I could. I was in lane 1.

This is a good lane to be in, because they stagger the starting line so that we can finish in a straight line. This means I had seven people to chase. The 8th lane is the hardest to be in because you can feel like you are in front at the beginning even if you are not.

Lane two had a girl from Greendale.

I changed my breathing.

I heard that sprinters have to breathe differently than distance runners. I know that how you breath in a race can help how tired or strong you are.

I'm running

breathing

I turned the last curve.

There is the Greendale girl.

She is not only a second in front of me.

She is WAY in front of me.

100 M left

Come on, Laura, close the gap.

2nd place finish.

It's the first time that year.

My team members are running up, and telling me that "it'll be ok"

BUT I am happy,
Why?

Two letters for ya,

PR

68 seconds. That's good enough for high school varsity Track.

Who cares that she won, seriously! It was MIDDLE SCHOOL,

Even my 8th grade self knew the insignificance about that!






Sometimes, there are moments like these, even in a silly little 8th grader's life that can make you feel like anything is possible.

I knew that my run was probably not impressive to some, but it was a large stepping stone for me.

I intended to continue this sort of improvement all through High School and I was going to go to State. Nothing was going to stop me.

Truly, nothing had to this point, ever been enough of a trial to over-throw any dream I had.

Then crazy ideas entered my head...

Not only did I have determined dreams of going to state jumbling around in my mistic over-sized head, but I wanted to go BIGGER and CRAZIER,
Something like ... I don't know... yes that was it, the ultimate dream of crazy runners... a MARATHON.

(Talk about 68 seconds going to your head, eh? Who ever heard of a competitive sprinter running a marathon?
Hello?
A sprint is a SHORT distance. )

2 comments:

Familia Morales said...

Oh Laura, you are so funny! I love your stories. You've always been so motivated--can you share some of your motivation with me?

Sammy said...

Way to go I'm so impressed you're not only doing that half we talked about but a full! Andrea from book club is doing that half too. I would say I was training and then I got pregnant... but I wasn't even trainging before it happened so I have no excuse! You go girl that's so awesome!!!