

(Ironic, how this postcard was sent from Texas and our Mascot here is the Jackrabbit)
According to mapmyrun I ran 3.92 miles. I took my running partner with me again. (Lucy) the wind wasn't as strong today, so I didn't have as much resistance as I hoped. I improved my average mile time from yesterday's running with a jogger experience. It has been moved up to 8:54 min. It was a cloudy day, but warmer than yesterday. All in all a, a lovely run.
EVERYONE HAS A STORY
Everyone has as story. Mine isn't anything outrageous, but a story nonetheless. I'm going to add a piece of my journey to the marathon world for each day of my count down.
I'm not sure where to begin. My love for running started right from when I was a wee little thing. My mother was always encouraging and my dad would call me his little fast rabbit.
I remember him getting all excited with me to go running from point A to point B, while my mother cheered.
I remember my siblings, me, and the neighborhood kids making a mini Olympics. Running was just fun. I even remember running at recess apparently so fast that I fell on my face. My legs couldn't even keep up with me! (I was 6, interesting how the mind works at that age).
I never realize how slow I really was until I moved to Franklin, Wisconsin in 5th grade. The kids there were rich, competitive, and FAST. Man was I in for a wake up call.
GYM CLASS
I remember gym class. We had to run laps for only ten minutes. That seemed like an eternity. At the end of class, we had to say how many laps we had done. All I remember is that I was always so embarrassed to say the number of laps I had done.
I felt like a loser..... a SLOW loser. Then there was this rude kid. His name was Kyle. He used to make fun of how slow I ran. OOOoooh. He'd get on my nerves so bad. That was it. No one was going to call ME slow, I was my dad's fast little rabbit, and no one was going to tarnish that. Thus, I discovered my competitive side.
I ran on the weekends and pushed myself further than ever in running at that point. I loved it. It was exciting. I'll never forget Kyle's expression when I started to keep up with the fastest kids in class. "She's lying! Laura is SLOOOOOOOOOOOW," he would say to the gym teacher. Ha! Now HE was in for a wake up call when the physical fitness tests were given.
He may have still run faster than me, but he couldn't deny he was wrong about me when I ran the second fastest mile time and did the most pull-ups...AND held myself above the bar the longest in the class (even the boys). HA! again. Vengeance was never so sweet for this little 5th grade Laura. First make Kyle eat his words, next stop Olympics!! (: (5th grader track and field olympics)
2 comments:
Love, love, LOVE your story! Ah the beginnings...aren't they so fun?
Hey Sweetie- I've never seen this postcard until now. It's cool. I like that you're posting on the blog more now :)
Love ya-
Post a Comment