Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Counting Down 39 days until The Marathon and 10 until my Half


I'm already getting a bit nervous. But the count down has begun. Today I ran 7 and half miles while pushing Lucy. We don't have many hills around here, and the weather was perfect. Lucy loves going on runs with me. I've been wanting to take her out running again. The stroller helps with resistance. It was pretty windy during my run as well, which helps a lot with resistance, especially when the stroller plays as a kind of parachute that catches the wind. My speed was still under 10 minute miles, but not far enough under.

I'm trying to imagine how fast I need to be running to make up for time spent walking through water stops, port-a-potties and points in the race that I may slow down for one reason or another. I did have a time goal at first, but I have since removed the goal.

I received some good advice from my good pal, Amy Lawson. She's what I call a super duper runner crazy lady! She's also really smart. She said that the first time around should only to finish and get a feel for the race. I told her that I could have done that a month ago if I didn't worry about time. So she said great, just don't set a goal time yet. SO my goal.... as fast as I can. She told me she shaved 45 minutes from her first marathon to her 2nd. She qualified for Boston. Pretty neat, eh? I have another friend who did also. She gave me some times about how to keep a good stride. She's shorter than me, but she has an awesome stride.

I appreciate all the tips from those who have run Marathons before, and welcome more. I do not, however, welcome comments like "be careful" or "don't over due it" or any other similar obvious advice. I do welcome comments that are encouraging.

Thanks to all that have been supportive, and really excited with me. It really helps.

4 comments:

Our son Kade said...

I'm totally amazed by you! Congratulations and way to go! :)

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

I laughed at your part about not to send obvious comments, like be careful. You know how everytime you leave someone's house they say, now drive careful ?? Like you weren't going to drive careful ??? so when people leave our house, we usually say, drive like a maniac and go in the ditch.
So - have a great time and cherish this chance to meet your dreams. and run like a maniac. Love, Aunt Charlotte

Familia Morales said...

Totally excited for you and know you're going to do great!

Liz said...

I'm so so excited to hear how it goes! I'm sure you'll do great! After all the training runs you've done I'm sure you don't need much advice for the real deal. Enjoy it!