So I have a 10 miler tomorrow and then a 20 after that, so today I REST and enjoy being cozy inside on a cool rainy day.
Ode to Fartleks.
My many blogs have been about my siblings. I started with my sister (16 months older than me) then went to my brother (who is three years older than me), and now I will tell a story of my Oldest brother, Jacob.
I'm going to have to do a little back tracking. I forgot that this happened while I was in middle school.
Many of you are seeing a trend, my family likes athletics. If I branched out I would say that Clay did football and in track he was mainly a poll vaulter, Hannah did running, enjoyed sports in general, but in high school put most of her efforts into her flute.
Jacob was probably the most like me, whether he likes it or not. He did cross country.
He was a senior in high school when I was in 8th grade.
He learned all sorts of endurance training. I remember him taking me on runs. He'd tell me not to stop running. He'd tell me to drink plenty of water. He provided me with a wealth of knowledge in stretches too.
He taught me an exercise that helped me practice my sprinting AND endurance at the same time. Fartleks.
Whoever came up with THAT name?
anyhow,
a Fartlek is when you sprint as hard as you can for a certain distance and then run at normal pace for a while... then sprint, then run, sprint, run... You get the picture.
I'd like to say he had the advantage, long legs and all, but fact of the matter was, he was just fast.
Nothing like a good brother that leaves me in the dust then purposely jogs in place while I breathlessly catch up, to give me the confidence to keep going.
I really enjoyed those times alone with my bro...despite that pain in my side that I got every time.
So a BIG thanks to ALL my brothers and and sister, for pushing me, advising me, and being actively interested my interests.
below is a picture of me trying to look cool with my brother I was always such a sucker for my brothers and sister.

Don't you just love our cool tv?
3 comments:
Allison looks JUST like you!!!
Seriously? They're called fartleks? Can we re-name them? Enjoy your nice cozy day inside!
HI LAURA!!!! Awesome job on the marathon thing!!! Sorry there is no other blog....I stopped doing it, I just do facebook and email these days. There are updated pics there. Where in Texas are you? I have a sis in Corpus. Talk soon, Robyn Whitworth
Post a Comment