Thursday, February 25, 2010

One more Day, any last words?.. What I have learned

Well, tomorrow's the race. I'm completely congested in ears throat, and sinus. My body aches everywhere, my voice is gone, my skin is shriveling dry, and what I think is me contently smiling turns out to look like a scowl to the rest of the world.

So things are looking up though. My legs, though tight and weak, are not showing any major signs of injury. So I see no reason why I shouldn't be extremely excited about tomorrow!

-----------

Can a person really say all they learned in 24 weeks of training? Well, maybe, but who in their right mind would want to hear it all!

So here is my condensed version.

There is something satisfying about pushing yourself, seeing what you can handle.

But more than the physical lessons, I've had a lot of life lessons.

Most of them are things I already know, but now know a little bit better.

They are things that no one can teach you with a great quote, or in the classroom.

They are lessons that can only be learned through experience.

I learned a lot about myself. I learned that though I've struggled with just about everything that requires an average amount of skill or natural stamina, I can overcome with hard work.

I gained a sense that some things that seemed so out of reach for me can be achieved with the same sort of dedication.

I have witnessed over and over again, how God cares about even my petty goals.

I've learned that pain comes and pain goes.

I've learned that mind over body is great, but spirit and mind over body is better.

I've learned that it is fun to imagine that all the cars going by are my biggest fans.

I've learned that getting your feet wet can be the hardest part.

I've learned that when looked at properly, it's obvious why to love something that can cause so much ache and sacrifice;

I've learned the love is a powerful energy source.

I've learned gratitude, that is deeper than it's ever been, and will continue.

I've learned how weak I am.

I've learned how strong I am.

I've learned how not smart I am.
I've learned that it's ok, though.

I learned how to have fun through obstacles.
I learned to control my emotions,

sort of.. or at least improved them.

I've learned patience.

I've learned how much my family loves me.

Tomorrow I am sure I will learn a whole new something, but in the end, these are things I've been learning and learning and learning my whole life, you probably have too.

Sometimes it's with pregnancy, or birth, or health, or whatever.

I've learned that it may take years and years to get there or it may take 18 weeks; When I've crossed that finish line well, I'm almost overwhelmed at the thought.

And the fun part is,
It feels like it's only the beginning. There will be more marathons. Chances are each run and training will continue to be a teacher to me, but tomorrow's race is special to me.

No time goal for this one. I'll do my best, but I'm not going to kick myself for not running as well as I did in my 19 miler pace, those conditions were completely different. Whatever happens happens.

Good night. and Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Laura! You are going to do great! Congrats on being so dedicated; you are an amazing goal setter!

Petronella said...

Wow, that is truly inspirational. I hope you will do well tomorrow.

Shannon said...

Good luck and HAVE FUN Laura! I know you've worked SO hard training for this, just enjoy YOUR day! I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing about your grand experience! :)