Why do people run marathons?
Some do it just to say they did, some do it to prove to themselves they can,
some do it to fulfill their competative edge.
Some are like me, and have a combination of reasons.
If you have already been reading the blog, I probably don't have to say why.
But for me it was because
I needed to finish what I started,
because I knew it would be a positive experience,
because it was my way (and certainly not the only way) of expressing gratitude for the health of my body God gave me and the miracles he placed in my life,
because I knew I would learn a lot,
because it keeps my mind clear,
because I can pig out and not feel guilty about it,
because it's a good challenge,
.....because I'm running.
The weird thing about those who have run a marathon, is that I have never met one that has regretted it. I never met one that hates running because of it.
In fact, when I ran my first Half marathon I told Jed, "Why would ANYONE ever want to run twice as much? I can't believe I am still going for it." I was extremely injured, and had a very painful training experience with that one.
Looking back, I know exactly why it was that way. But finishing the marathon, I knew I would want to do that again.
I have had very few more spiritual experiences than I had in that race.
What I think about the course:
I think someone thought it would be funny to make a course that makes all the uphill parts really long distances and all the down hill parts only in spurts. I think that they PURPOSELY put the biggest downhill part at the beginning when everyone is strong.
I think that they were trying to see if they could make a course that has as close to no flat areas as possible, knowing that a lot of people would be coming from really flat areas.
I can just see the committe now,
" a haha haaa, lets see how many crazy facial expressions we can make the runners make,"
"yeah, I need a better backdrop on my computer"
"It'll be good for advertising too."
That's what I think of the course.
What I think of the Cowtown Marathon
I think they did a really good job, actually. They were really organized and generous. It was huge, and the support along the race was great.
Plus, the finisher's shirt is REALLY comfy. So if every time you see me, I'm wearing that same shirt, it's not because I'm trying to constantly tell everyone that I was at Cowtown, it just Really REALLY REALLY is that comfy.
We went through a lot of residential roads, and so a lot of people would sit on a lawn chair and watch us and cheer us as we went by.
Kids were slapping high fives, and some were playing guitars (not the kids, but that would have been cool to see too!), and others pulled out their big speakers, so we had music to listen to.
The things you see along the race...
some of you that called, already know this story.
As I was running I saw a truck that had a big sign, "FREE BEER FOR RUNNERS" I don't know about behind me, but all the runners in front just ignored them, as well as I of course. It was obvious, that this run was hard enough, they didn't need beer in the middle of it.
Later, somewhere in the last 7 miles (I can't remember what mile I was at), I saw a sign that said "Apple Juice," what I didn't see, was a very small sign that said, "Free beer for runners." They are holding it out, I grab it, I drink... I spit,
"What is this?" I said in shock and disgust.
"BEER"
as if that wasn't bad enough,
in the last mile I see two missionaries from our church riding at walkers pace on their bikes.
"Hey Elders!"
then I thought;
I'm wearing a tank top, and I just had my first sip of Beer. They are probably going to meet me at the finish with a pass-along card and a new Book of Mormon!
More tomorrow...
6 comments:
ha ha. daniel took a sip of the "apple juice" too. what a mean trick:) wish i would've known you were wearing a pink bandana perhapos i could've spotted you easier? glad you had such a great experience
Ha ha! You didn't say anything about the missionaries being there...you should probably ask them to show you where the next AA meeting is! :)
Yeah melissa, Daniel and I can go together.
You are AWESOME!! I must say you look pretty darn cute! And your thoughts on the missionaries made me laugh out loud!
I think it's awesome you ran a marathon! I'm just happy in my first year of 5K's :)) That is really funny about running into the missionaries right after the beer (that was rude of those people!) incident and the tank top :))
Laura, I am so proud of you. I watched my brother run once and saw him when he finished and I swore I would never watch another one. I was about it tears when I saw my brother. I had some jerkey in my purse and he ate it all for the salt purposes.
thanks for sharing all the pictures. Love, Grandma W
Post a Comment