Wednesday, March 03, 2010

My Final Post For the Marathon.


My face when I saw my friend Michelle, who I thought wasn't going to be able to come.

No, they wouldn't let me keep this sign.

The finish Line

Pretty cool decked out in a shiny thing for my muscles, and a shiny thing around my neck for my pride.







Runners always appreciate the cheering.

I liked this marathon, because there were SO MANY people cheering. I barely hit a part of the race where there wasn't someone trying to cheer you on.

It is even more special when it is someone you know, and love.

I appreciate all the kind words about my time for a first marathon and all, but I have to honestly say I don't feel like I deserve them.

If it was me just running a regular Saturday long run, most likely I would have walked more. Most likely I would have slowed down a lot earlier, most likely I would have injured myself, and most likely I wouldn't have had half the strength and ease that was given to me.

I don't believe in coincidences at all.

I could barely breath thursday due to catching a nasty cold and sore throat, but suddenly I woke up dramatically better Friday and even better on Saturday. But Sunday the sore throat returned, along with that familiar (though not as severe, congestion)

Most likely I would have had my blisters in all the wrong places like I did on my other long runs, but I didn't even realize I had a HUGE one on the side of my foot until I got home and kicked off my shoes.

My injuries did not bother me at all, only a slight one in my left foot that went away before I finished the race.

Even the weather was perfect. The wind was not too strong either (not that I am implying that God fixed the weather for me)

Thanks to great organization, and a GPS, Jed and my Dad's group had an easier time finding points to meet me at and cheer.

They always said that every time they saw me, I looked strong. To be honest it was because of them.

I could always spot them because they were the group that Jumped in sync, "Run Mommy Run, Run Mommy Run". They had Huge smiles, and they somehow carried me through, and gave me my second, third, fourth, ... winds.

There were several times throughout the race that I felt like I just wanted to break down, but then I would see Jed, my kids, my Dad, or my friends. They were better than a GU and Powerade.


The last four miles were the hardest for me, it was all uphill. I was drained, and I knew everyone was waiting at the finish.

So I needed more mind power than I had used in all the race up until that point. I pictured them and my dear mother who was unable to come as well as those, I prayed, and called upon every positive thought and feeling of everykind.

Then it was like someone would lift my legs and move them for me, because I did not have the ability on my own.

..just one more step, just one more hill,



I wonder what went through the mind of the other runners. I wonder.

The finish had a bit of a sweet flavor to it.

What went through my head at the last stretch of the race?

It reviewed in fast forward, from the day I first decided to run a marathon fifteen years ago, and through all it took to get here, to that physical moment and place.

The finish line.

I felt that only a miracle got me there.

Though I sometimes felt that all forces tried to make this as difficult as possible for me for so long,

God in His mercy made THIS day different, Saturday February 27th 2010, He practically carried me to the finish line.

It seems silly that God would do so much, for something that is really just a race; but then I look at my children and I understand.

This is my last post of the marathon.

Thank you all for reading and sharing this wonderful experience with me

SOME FINAL THOUGHTS:
-MARATHONS AREN'T ALWAYS ABOUT RUNNING.
-IF WE ALL CHEERED ON OUR FAMILY WITH THE DEDICATION AND ENTHUSIASM AS MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY DID, THERE WOULD BE A LOT LESS PROBLEMS IN FAMILIES, AND A LOT MORE SUCCESS
-IF WE ALWAYS WORKED THAT HARD IN OTHER PARTS OF OUR LIFE, LIFE WOULD BE A LOT MORE ENJOYABLE AND SWEETER
-IF WE ALWAYS CALLED UPON THE POSITIVE AND GOD WITH THAT MUCH DETERMINATION, THERE WOULD BE NO DEPRESSION, AND NO FAITHLESS.

I learned more than I can express with this experience, and I hope to continue.

So here's to new experiences, struggles, love, and God.

...and heres to you.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Laura way to go! It looks like it was an amazing experience! I am so in awe of your strength and your endurance. I completely agree with all your beautiful insights! I know that I would love to have a cheer group after I put the laundry away! Thank you for your example!

Familia Morales said...

Beautiful!

*And totally agree with Jenni. I could use a round of applause for finishing a load of laundry.*

Jason Both said...

Great job Laura!!! Such a big achievment! Loved the post. Such inspiration.

After a big break from blogging, I've started a new public one. Here's the address: http://funinanutshell.blogspot.com/

Grant and Christine said...

Wow, how cool that you aren't lying on the ground in any of those pictures!!! (I would have been) You are an inspiration. I especially like where you say that if we put this much cheering and this much effort into family and other areas of life we'd be happier. How true! I can't wait for the next training count down!