Saturday, August 06, 2005

Laura is Funny

Yesterday I learned a lot about Laura when we went in to the teton gastrointestinal surgical center early in the morning. She and I were learning about the value of not complaining when talking to others as we were reading a book called "how to win friends and influence people" while we drove down to the doctors office. When she got into the office, she put that principle to work like I'd never seen her do before. She was so upbeat, and happy... mind you, she was going in to the office for an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy, and she was still positive and pleasant. All of the staff and nurses and doctors were so nice in return. The nurses especially liked her as she just chatted with them, and asked them questions about their lives. As she showed interest in them, they really opened up to her. I was asked after the preparations were over to wait in the waiting room while the doctors did the procedures. When I came back to the recovery room, Laura was sort of cooky because of the laughing gas that they gave her. She was groggy, but SO happy. I have never seen someone that groggy that was still so positive. She was really a delight to the nurses and staff. She still carried on meaningful conversations with them about their careers, and kindly asked them to repeat all of their names (since she had forgotten them under the influence of the anesthesia.) Two of the nurses were there, and they said that their names were Carey, and Conny. Laura decisively told them that they had perfect names to become backup singers for a famous band. They had a good laugh at that. Then she asked the nurses to come back from across the room to tell them something- She said very kindly to the nurses "I really think you are nice,.... and cute." The last part about being cute set them off laughing again, and they reciprocated telling her that she was nice .... and cute.

The first thing that Laura told me when I asked her how her procedure was when the anesthesia was still not worn off was that she was happy because they were so kind to her... she told me to remind her later on to send them a thank you note for making her so comfortable. I am sure that they do lots of colonoscopys at this place, and I would not doubt it if not one of those patients who came has ever thanked them so sincerely. The result was that they were extremely pleasant and nice back to her.

I learned that if you want to have people like you, all you have to do is be sincerely interested in them, and smile.

My wife is amazing. She is recovering fast, and we will get results for the biopsy of the flesh sample that they took of her upper intestine, some time probably near the end of the month.

Thanks for all of our friends and families support through this time. We love you all.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

We hope that everything went well for you Laura. It sounds like you have been handling it all with such an upbeat and positive attitude - you're awesome (and cute!) Hopefully I can keep your example in mind when I get to interact with drs and nurses in the coming weeks. Although I think you will certainly have a better attitude than me....(and I admire that!)

We have been keeping you in thoughts and prayers, and will continue to do so. Please keep us updated on how things go.

Love you!
Joanna (and Cory)