Ok, so as of late, Allison has been too easy (knock on wood). I am sort of enjoying the time to myself but I find myself want to focus on a goal or a project or some sort. I am usually quite good at coming up with some, though they either consist of redoing the entire house or something to do with church. Nothing I think of quite hits the spot. I really want to do something that is separate from motherhood and cleaning. Thus, I am asking for any suggestions to help me come up with a larger list of ideas to choose from. Some I have thought of is sewing (but until I can have some more space for it, it will be something I do every few months, instead of a hobby--though i do hope to do more sewing more often); create a gluten-free cookbook; Nicole gave me an idea to make a list of books that I want to read in my life; paint; well....you don't need to hear all of them....anyway, I would be extremely grateful to any tips,
love,
Laura
5 comments:
Hmmm.....
You could work on practicing the piano. Pick a piece you've always wanted to play (or a couple of pieces).
Work on cooking - cooking that fits into your lifestyle, and needs.
I'm always one that's partial to scrapbooking...maybe learn to digital scrapbook with Jed's help.
Genealogy, I am doing it - my genealogy....
Crocheting/knitting. Maybe start with washcloths, crocheting around baby blankets.
Learning about different cultures and countries with books/dvd's from the library.
Exercise. I think the public library has dvds/videos you can borrow - so that could be fun to mix it up. Do some kickboxing, yoga, dance aerobics.
Take a community education class. I think the college has some continuing ed classes. You could also take some of the know your religion classes they offer.
Flannel board/folder games for Alli. I know this isn't seperate from being a mom - but it could be fun to put them together.
Reading. I LOVE reading, and don't get enough time to do it...
Ok - I guess this is a list I would maybe do if I had time. Sorry it's such a long list :)
Love ya!
I guess that Joanna and I think alike, because the list I came up with is very similar to the one she posted here. I would add the possibility of compiling a personal/family history and also learning more about photography.
Good luck!
One of my ideas is simple cross stitch projects, they're pretty self contained, in small packages, so they don't take up a lot of space, and there is less for Alli to get into. Plus you can stop mid stitch and put it away, so you can work on it for five minutes or however long, set it aside for as long as you need to, and just pick right up where you stopped.
Plus another thing you can do with counted cross stitch - when the baby is sleeping, you do half of each stitch, so you can do the counting while it is quiet, then when she gets up you don't have to worry about the counting or color matching, you can just finish the stitches you already started.
2. We have a rule in our house that we have to cook at least one new recipe a week, and that helps to keep us stimulated to cook and try new things, and keeps it from getting mundane. Then as soon as possible you can get Alli involved in cleaning out the dishwasher, setting the table, etc.
3. It doesn't feel like it but this stage will pass very quickly - you'll be surprised, so don't worry about trying to find a lifetime fulfillment hobby, this phase will be over soon, and you'll have new things and challenges going on to keep you stimulated.
Plus, since you obviously live in an area with lots of women in the same situation as you it would be appropriate for you to go to your homemaking counselor in the Relief Society presidency and see if they could do an enrichment activity that is a play group or something where the moms can get together for a book club, or crafting, or whatever, while the kids play in the gym or nursery area.
Also, Meridian magazine (I think the website is meridianmagazine.com or something like that) has a book club online for LDS sisters.
Plus there's no law that says you couldn't take a class now and then, wouldn't have to be something big, just something to keep the old juices flowing. :)
That's all I've got for now. Good luck. We love you all! Aunt Charlotte
How about a little herb garden on the itchen window sill?
Or making jewelry/beading (another thing you could set up so you could do a little of it and then put it away and pick it up later)
Find a way to do little exercises in five minute pieces
Get a book of poetry and pick a poem to learn/a poet to learn about each week
Learn a new song every week
Learn to meditate
Make a game of little moments of self pampering (lotion on your feet, conditioner in your hair, relaxing your neck, an extra peaceful five minutes in the bath or something--habits you develop now will serve you so well later in life
You could combine a bunch of the other suggestions: pick a country, learn about the culture, learn some of the music, learn to cook some of the foods, learn al ittle bit about the language, do a craft, etc. You could do a new country every month or so. . .
Anyway, have fun! Don't forget to laugh!
Enjoy the coming spring,
Love, Aunt Sandra
One thing that I did over some free time during Christmas break that I really enjoyed and thought was really productive was ordering the pictures I have of my family and friends. It was so nice to reminisce with my sisters as I worked on it, and it was something I could pick up or put down as long as I had a space and some paper to mark the piles of pictures and what they were from.
I also came across a book about myself that I had to make in 8th grade, and it made me wish that I would make another one. With you and Jed you probably have all your pictures digitized, but even making a book for you or for Alli to read with you and laminate it or incorporate fabric and different textures that she would like could be a fun project. (But that's not too different than other family or mom activities... I guess I'm not too good at this. I'm really impressed with all the other ideas though!)
Post a Comment