Wednesday, August 09, 2006

On Top of the Peak




We had quite the hike on with Laura's family when we went to Taos, New Mexico for a family reunion a couple weeks ago. We hiked to the top of the tallest peak in New Mexico... Wheeler Peak. We hiked a 14 mile round trip hike in one day, and we all made it back down without any permanent injuries. Laura seemed to be the best in shape of us all. Tom, Laura's father, is trying to reach as many of the 50 states "high-points" as possible, so we tagged along, not knowing how difficult it might be. In fact, the mountain was covered in fog when we started the hike, so we didn't even know where it was we were hiking to. We were glad that we did it, the view was amazing, and the feeling of accomplishment to tackle something that big was great. Wheeler peak is ranked #12 in difficulty of climb out of the 50 high-points of the 50 states. Laura's brother Jacob is also in one of the pictures. Laura and I, Clay, Jacob, Jenner, and Poppers all made it up.

3 comments:

The Rhiens said...

Wow! That looks like it was quite the hike! Impressive. I bet it was beautiful up there. 12th hardest in the nation, huh? I am glad you had such a great trip and such a successful climb.

Love, Mom and Dad Rhien

Joanna said...

Glad you made it, and that you had a good time. I'm always impressed with how in shape Laura is - what a woman!

Anonymous said...

Laura, you are such a highpointer already. In photo one you're placing another rock, your rock, to make it even higher. What I great picture!. I wish it was as bright when we got there,
Poppers