Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Fire Fly or Lightening Bug





One of Jed's favorite parts of the trip was the Fire Flies. Alli was acting tired so we thought we probably shouldn't go on a night hike deeper into the woods. I was hoping that we would see a huge group of them. I remember on camp outs with my dad, if we went hiking we would see so many of them, that it felt like we were in outer space. We saw a fair amount though. Jed caught one in Alli's sippy cup, and everyone was really excited. It stopped glowing for us after I blinded it with out camera a gazillion times. It's hard to see him through the cup, but you get the idea!

4 comments:

The Rhiens said...

I'm jealous, Alli! I LOVE fireflies!

Love, Nana and Papa

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

how fun!! I've never gotten to see a firefly, and I've always thought they would be fun. Looks like you guys had a fun time. I got the stuff for S'mores the other day too - must be that time of year. :) Love you guys! Alicia

Anonymous said...

I love fireflies--I remember how magical they seemed when we first moved to Montana. And I loved them in my gardens in NY and Chicago. It's one of the few drawbacks of California (along with no lightening)--no fire flies.
Love, Sandra

Joanna said...

Oh we miss fireflies! When we lived in Cleveland and Detroit we were surrounded by them at night.

In fact I have a kind of funny story - the first few nights after we had moved into our place in Cleveland we'd sit out on our porch. We lived on the bottom floor of a 3 floor complex. Our upstairs neighbor smoked (like a chimney!) and we thought that he was flicking his cigarette ashes over the balcony. After a few nights we realized they were fireflights and started to enjoy the little flickering instead of being incredibly annoyed by "BOB" our neighbor. (although his smoking still stunk!)