Allison has always been a very good talker, and understands quite a bit. Still, it can be easy to forget that she is still three years old. Here's a conversation we had this morning.
I was taking a shower when I heard Allison calling for me.
"MOoooooooooooooooooooMMy!"
"Yes dear?"
"Mooooooooooommy"
"What?"
"I hear the "wa" sound like the letter "W"
By this point I am done and come to talk to her.
"I said 'what'"
"Mom?"
"Yes dear?"
"No mom, I heard a "wa" sound like the letter 'W', " (she said this in a chastising tone.) So I think maybe she'll understand me better if I say again what I said that caused her to get hung up on the sound the "W" makes, and said, "What?.... What is it that you wanted to tell me sweetheart?"
Now she's really frustrated, "But I heard a 'WA" sound mom"
Maybe this is what she's been wanting to tell me?
"Ooh, that is interesting"
"NOOOOO it is NOT interesting, Mom, don't say that."
I'm lost and confused by now.
"Did mommy say the "wa" sound?"
She rolls her eyes, and takes a deep sigh as if to muster all the patience she can have with me.
"YES, I couldn't hear what you said in the shower, I only heard the "wa" sounds" (I think to myself, huh, do you think she heard the 'wa' sound?)
"Ok, Allison. I'm sorry that you didn't hear what I said in the shower. Remember, You said, 'Mommy?' and now I am saying, 'What dear'. Before you heard the 'wa' sound, what did you want to say to mommy?"
Allison puts her hands on her hips,
"DON'T SAY THAT MOMMY! YOU SAID 'WA'" pause. Steam is coming out of Alli's nose by now.
"Allison, lets have some breakfast."
sudden calm.
"Ok, can I have eggs, oatmeal, toast, apples, yogurt, bannanas, raisens, bagel with cream cheese, milk, cereal, and..." she taps her lips and scratches her head as if to be thinking very hard, "and buberry (blueberry) bars"
"That's too much, but I'll let you pick two of those things,"
"But I'm HUUUUNGRY!"
"Yes and two things will be good enough. Mommy is going to have eggs, would like some eggs?"
"Yes, and toast and oatmeal, and bannanas , and a little chocolate."
"Would you like toast with your eggs or eggs with oatmeal. If you have oatmeal, I'll put some bannanas in it"
She mumbles something
"What did you say dear?"
"Mom I heard the 'WA" sound like in the letter "W""
Sigh!
Need I go on?
7 comments:
Oh my goodness! um . . .I don't know if you remember me but this is Jenni Hogman . . .I used to be your visiting teacher . . . In Rexburg Idaho . . .with Becky Maynard. Any ways I was so excited when I came across your blog address and hope you don't mind me coming on everynow and then to read what is going on with you guys. I can't believe how much Allison has grown! She looks so grown up!! So good to see and hear stuff about you!!
That is so hilarious! Don't you think we sometimes need interpreters so we can figure out what our 'little treasures' are telling us? And wow! What an appetite, sounds like it hasn't changed much. Thanks for the laugh!
I get the Wa! When the shower went on she heard the sound whoosh! so therefore W sound.
ggrandma Marilyn Love ya Way to go Alli!
thats really funny :) good luck w/that!
Wouldn't it be great if they came with a little translation book of some sort when they are little. I love the fun things that come into their little minds and out their darling little mouths. Can't wait to give Alli a big hug soon.
Mom and Dad Rhien
That buddy of mine is such a genius! When she's ready to learn more phonetic sounds, let me know. I even have a brand new set of cards in Spanish! Hee.
Post a Comment