Now here's a good look'n chap!
Well,
I have it easy. I know I am jinxing myself right now to all those superstitious people out there. I'm not saying that I have it easy in every aspect of my life right now, just in children. I woke up on Sunday morning, and it hit me. I was used to sleeping all night long, and Lucy still take two naps a day. I didn't want to take that luxury for granted. I felt very grateful.
This post is not to frustrate mothers who have it really tough right now. I actually hope it can comfort. I know I like to brag about my girls and all their positives. But they are still kids. I don't know if I am just trying to brainwash myself into forgetting the hard parts, or what. Here's the truth:
When Lucy was born she had a lot of colic. Bad. She would NOT stop crying. She was a light sleeper and HAD to have me carry her every where. As much as I tried to just put up with the crying and try to teach her that sometimes, mom just can't hold her, it was often too much. I felt a mixture of guilt for feeling like two kids was overwhelming when I knew so many that could handle four or more kids.
People who never had a child with the huge gap we have between our kids would say that I have it easy because I have a helper. Yes she would help sometimes, and yes she was more independent than younger kids, but Allison needed help in some physical things at the time that I have seen two year olds do better. Allison was also at a very needy time in her life. Her tantrums were at it's peak and she constantly wanted my attention and energy to do things a mom with a new baby just can't do. Plus, my recovery took 6 months to get over the worst pains. Alli didn't go to preschool and there were no moms willing to do a group thing at the time.
Lucy's worst colic slightly let up around 10 mo, but it was more like a year that I started to feel relief. She did have some random weeks where she was better. Probably do to my pleadings for relief. Last Thanksgiving was one of those. I felt bad at times for feeling jealous of those who had family near by. I had 24 hours away from Alli when I was pregnant with Lucy. I recently had 12 hours away from Lucy and Alli in July, (when Lucy was perfectly behaved and I was willing to let a friend take her). It's a big enough thing to ask a friend to take your child for that long, I wanted to make sure I wasn't over-doing her with a colicky baby too.
I did a lot to try to teach her good sleep habits, and I know I put up with more screaming than I had to, but I knew that if I didn't then; it would be a lot harder later. Allison woke up 3-4 times a night until she was three.
Now Lucy is spoiling me, with two regular naps during the day, she goes to bed between 7-8 pm and never wakes up in the night. She does still like to fuss over whatever she can, but she's learning. She knows when it is nap time. I can ask her if she's ready for a nap, and she'll nod yes. Just last night we were up later with the kids due to family home evening. Lucy got through half of it, crawled up the stairs, called for me to open the gate, and I-- after asking her if she was ready for bed (and she nodding yes),-- put her in her crib and kissed her goodnight, and walked out.
Today, I took Lucy for a run. I came home and let her play in my room while I got ready for the day. I came out of the bathroom to find that she had come to my bedroom door (trying to leave). Unable to open the door, she layed on her belly with her bum in the air, her thumb in her mouth, and finger wiggling her ear. She was trying to take her nap. I picked the have asleep Lucy up (while keeping her in her bum up position) and lied her in her crib. She was awake, but no screaming. She did cry a bit (for tradition's sake) when I left the room, but quickly fell asleep.
Yesterday we went to the park twice. Lucy learned how to slide down a slide all by herself. I wasn't expecting it so soon. She also climbed UP the slide by herself!
After being there awhile, and it was time to go home and put her down for nap #2, she climbed in the stroller, buckled herself up, and pointed towards home. The second time we went, and I said it was time to go home, she went in the stroller without fussing, and did the same thing. She usually would throw a fit.
It's not just Lucy, it's Allison too. She has been at her best and most consistent behavior. SHe has her weeks, but she calms down herself very well, and really does her best to be her best. She really does help around the house, and does not demand as much of me.
I am so grateful that I have seasons like these. This is what I was working towards and I am trying to keep up. I really do feel that it is also a witness of the hand of God in my life. He has been there for me. He comforted me all those nights I could have been going insane from crying. He held me up all those times I tried to stay on my feet--pacing the floors while comforting little Lucy. He whispered guidance when I didn't know what to do. He placed experienced and loving mothers in my life to give great advice. He's given me an abundance of supportive friends to come to my aid and relief. These are the things that got me through the first year. I often remember that I felt that doing the sleep training was just too hard, but I kept saying to myself that I would be happy I did it someday.
And I am.
Thanks to all those who helped me carry myself, and get through that first year. Now on to new and exciting challenges!
1 comment:
I am very happy to read that you are having an "easy" season because you are super sweet and good and have certainly been through a lot. Love you!
Post a Comment