Fiasco, Pain, Fiasco, Pain,
Today:
It was supposed to be 6 miles of hills, but that has been swapped for wenesday. Today is an easy run and A LOT of Stretching.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"COME WHAT MAY, AND LOVE IT"
If you have been keeping up on the blogs, you'll know that I'm running my first Marathon, AND you'll know that I chose a very difficult race for my first. Really, I've heard that from TONS of people.
If you have been reading the blog, you'll know that I only have a goal to finish, but I have a really strong desire to finish in under 4:30, but that under 4 would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After Saturday, I had one of those days that bring you back to your senses. One of those things that remind you of something you already knew and felt strongly about.
I'll finish that race. I'll worry about time, another race.
I've been saying that all along, so it's nothing new.
The hang-ups I expected on the race to slow me down, were not the kind of hang-ups I had on Saturday.
Saturday's run was easy, energy-wise. Probably because I was in so much stink'n pain that I ran the pace of a snail.
Though I stopped before I hit my 20 mark, I only stopped because I can't afford to be hurt on race day. Really I can't, this race is EXPENSIVE!
There is a part of me that broke at the idea of something like Saturday happening on race day.
Here's why:
My training has been harder than anything I have ever done. It makes my training for my half, look like a walk in the park.
I've broke some real physical barriers for myself. There is a part of me that would want to feel like it all went to waste if I ran in my race like on Saturday. I've worked too hard to be strong, and have been too patient to progress at a proper pace. It seems sad that I wouldn't be able to run the race as best as I could possibly do.
On the other hand there are two things about how I think that will make this experience good.
FIRST, --
after I cross that finish line... what's done is done. If I run it in five and half hours and practically slither to the finish line, it's done. I'll be happy I finished, I'll be happy for the experience.
I know I'll be very happy either way. There is no point in pouting or saying "wo is me".
I am 100% sure of this.
SECOND --
I'm a believer in setting goals, doing your best, but THINK SMART when things don't go how you expect them.
Saturday was my 3rd long run in my training process that I had to stop short of my goal. I was never happy about any of them.
I have a natural tendency to do whatever it takes to finish what I started.
But I had to think smart. Stopping those runs early, helped me keep training, and in the long run (no pun intended) become stronger, and will hopefully help me succeed in what I am really trying to finish... the marathon.
In the race... I will not be stopping, however. I'm finishing. ....
So there you have it..... my goal: finishing,
then I'm going to take my completely painfully stiff self, and CELEBRATE.... I don't know how, but you ALL are invited!! (:
It's been 15 or 16 years since I first set this goal.
So no matter how stink'n slow I run it, I'll be reaching something I've been trying to do for a while.
I mean, seriously I'm WAY past the normal time limit already!!
Running is something I love, but also, very VERY hard for me. Maybe that is why I love it so much.

4 comments:
Good for you Laura! Good for you for being smart and stopping your run early to avoid injury and good for you for pushing yourself and keep on going. I'm so excited for your race! I can't believe it's coming up so quick. You're going to do great (no matter what your finishing time is)!
We are all just so behind you and so proud of you for working so hard on your goal. You were smart on Saturday to stop before you injured yourself for the big race. You'll do great!
Love, Mom and Dad Rhien
cute blog Laura! I CANNOT believe you are going to run a marathon....WOW! That takes guts, and a little craziness to run that much!! Good Luck :)
you are one strong mama! seriously i loathe running and yet i married someone whose life is all about running. I have a lot of respect for runners. keep it up!
Post a Comment