I read this article last night, and realized Laura is grossly underpaid for her job as a mom. I think it's time for her to receive a raise! A BIG raise. I am really appreciative of all Laura does as a Mom, and as a wonderful wife. She is really the best companion and friend I've ever dreamed of having. She really understands me and supports me and helps me to keep trying when things get tough. I miss her and I'm glad she's coming home in less than a week.
Here is the article I read:
What's a mom worth?
According to one new report, $138,095 a year.
That's the figure in a report by Salary.com, which calculates the wages that would have been paid a stay-at-home mom in 2007 if she were compensated for all the elements of her "job." That total is up 3% from 2006's salary of $134,121.
Moms who have jobs outside the house would earn another $85,939 for their mothering work, beyond what they bring home in existing salary.
The job descriptions that Salary.com used to determine a mom's salary includes 10 jobs that moms do on an average day: housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, CEO and psychologist.
In calculating a mom's wages, Salary.com looked at the "overtime" that both working and stay-at-home moms put in each week. "Mom works multiple jobs and rarely gets a break from the action, working an average of 52 hours of overtime," said Bill Coleman, senior vice president at Salary.com, in a statement.
According to the Salary.com survey, stay-at-home moms work a 92-hour week, with more than half the workweek spent in overtime. Working moms, meanwhile, logged more than nine hours of "overtime," with an average 49-hour "mom" work week -- on top of their full-time paying jobs. For the Salary.com survey, more than 40,000 moms quantified their hours per job description; Salary.com benchmarked the median salaries for each job to the national median salary for each position as reported by employers. The final salary was calculated by weighting the salaries and hours worked in each role.
4 comments:
I always point those surveys out to Brian and he always makes a point of letting me know that he thinks that is what my work in the home is worth, and I have to tell you - it really helps a mom to know that Dad values the work she does - so GOOD ONE on you, Jed. Just remember to remind her every once in a while that you agree.
In today's world, it is all about how much money you make and even though a mom tries to block that out of her head, there are days when she just needs to know that she is making a contribution. LOVE YOU GUYS, Aunt Charlotte
Thanks sweetheart, YOU ROCK! See you in a couple days!
-Laura
WAHOOO!!! We (moms) got a "raise". I would really rather have a full night of sleep every night and an afternoon nap rather than money...and yes, appreciation is the most important thing for my (and maybe some others) sanity.
Love ya'll
Melissa
I am going through Rhien withdrawls! I love checking your blog and there hasn't been anything for like a week! What ever am I going to do with myself!?! I hope you are doing well! We're waiting for you to come visit Arizona again! Love, Jessica
Post a Comment